At Least Mexicans Vote Democrat... Right? - An Abject Lesson On How A Minimum Wage Of $15 Kills Many Small Businesses
AlleyCat
2017-01-05 02:36:58 UTC
California Raised Minimum Wage Jan. 1 - Then This Happened IMMEDIATELY!

An abject lesson on how a minimum wage of $15 kills many small businesses.

On January 1, California's minimum wage went up to $10.50 an hour and by
2021, the minimum wage will reach $15 per hour, the number that has
gained a great deal of attention over the years as "the fight for 15"
movement has gained traction.

One local business owner in the state penned on op-ed in the Los Angeles
Times that laid out the case for why it's not workable for many small
businesses.

The Federalist Papers reports:

Houman Salem wrote that he is "the founder of a small fashion design house
and clothing manufacturer in San Fernando." He continued:

After two years in business, my company now has more than 150 clients
from all over the world and 18 employees. It's what's known as a cut-and-
sew house, part of the garment industry that generates about $17 billion
in annual economic activity in Los Angeles County, including $6.9 billion
in payroll, according to a 2016 industry report by the California Fashion
Assn. This is the epicenter of apparel design and manufacturing in the
United States; domestically manufactured clothing is more expensive, but
retail and wholesale customers who care about quality and working
conditions have historically been willing to pay for it.

Unfortunately, the industry is on a downward trend. Los Angeles County
used to have more than 5,000 apparel factories; today, my company is one
of roughly 2,000 - and many (e.g. American Apparel) are looking for a way
out. One Los Angeles Times headline, quoting a California State University
economist, warned that "the exodus has begun."

Salem noted that while he's not an "opponent of higher pay," and that
he has "genuine concern" for his employees, there are certain financial
limitations that he went on to break down:

Here's what the math looks like: I pay my employees $10.50 an hour,
plus productivity bonuses. In addition, I pay payroll taxes and one of the
highest worker compensation rates in the state. Even still, I could likely
absorb a minimum wage as high as $11.50 an hour. But a $15-an-hour wage
for my employees translates into $18.90 in costs for me - or just under
$40,000 a year per full-time employee.

When the $15 minimum wage is fully phased in, my company would be
losing in excess of $200,000 a year (and far more if my workforce grows as
anticipated). That may be a drop in the bucket for large corporations, but
a small business cannot absorb such losses. I could try to charge more to
offset that cost, but my customers -the companies that are looking for
someone to produce their clothing line - wouldn't pay it. The result would
be layoffs.

The wage increase has pushed Salem to move to Las Vegas, Nevada, where
the minimum wage sits at $8.25 an hour.
Siri Cruise
2017-01-05 02:55:18 UTC
Post by AlleyCat
The wage increase has pushed Salem to move to Las Vegas, Nevada, where
the minimum wage sits at $8.25 an hour.
I wonder how much government subsidy he will get in Nevada in terms of food
stamps, Medicaid, housing vouchers, etc for his employees?
'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.'
Free the Amos Yee one.
Yeah, too bad about your so-called life. Ha-ha.
Greg Stearns
2017-01-05 03:32:41 UTC
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by AlleyCat
The wage increase has pushed Salem to move to Las Vegas, Nevada, where
the minimum wage sits at $8.25 an hour.
I wonder how much government subsidy he will get in Nevada in terms of food
stamps, Medicaid, housing vouchers
Those are not subsidies - those *raise* the wage that an employer must
pay to induce deadbeats to get off their sofas and take a job.
Jerry Buchanan
2017-01-05 03:57:46 UTC
Post by Greg Stearns
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by AlleyCat
The wage increase has pushed Salem to move to Las Vegas, Nevada, where
the minimum wage sits at $8.25 an hour.
I wonder how much government subsidy he will get in Nevada in terms of food
stamps, Medicaid, housing vouchers
Those are not subsidies - those *raise* the wage that an employer must
pay to induce deadbeats to get off their sofas and take a job.
That's exactly right. Welfare programs raise what is called the
reservation wage in economics. The reservation wage is the wage below
which you won't work - you "reserve" your labor waiting for a higher wage.

Suppose you can get food stamps, Section 8 housing vouchers and Medicaid
benefits totaling $50,000 per year (hypothetically.) A gross wage of
$20 per hour, working 2000 hours per year (40 hours per week, 50 weeks a
year) will get you a gross income of $40,000 per year. For every dollar
of income earned, you lose some part of your dole handouts. Will you
work at $20 an hour? *FUCK*, no, you won't work. You'd be a fool to work.

The numbers may not be the same for actual welfare benefits and actual
minimum wages, but the principle remains. If the state pays dole
benefits, that *raises* workers' reservation wages. That means
employers must pay *higher* wages than they would have to pay absent the
dole benefits. Dole benefits are not a subsidy to employers. Dole
benefits are a *tax* on employers.
Siri Cruise
2017-01-05 11:10:28 UTC
Post by Jerry Buchanan
Post by Greg Stearns
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by AlleyCat
The wage increase has pushed Salem to move to Las Vegas, Nevada, where
the minimum wage sits at $8.25 an hour.
I wonder how much government subsidy he will get in Nevada in terms of food
stamps, Medicaid, housing vouchers
Those are not subsidies - those *raise* the wage that an employer must
pay to induce deadbeats to get off their sofas and take a job.
That's exactly right. Welfare programs raise what is called the
reservation wage in economics. The reservation wage is the wage below
which you won't work - you "reserve" your labor waiting for a higher wage.
You're against minimum wage and welfare for underpaid workers.

You're for making people so desperate they will sell themselves into slavery.

Also welfare is available to low income as well no income people. Receiving any
kind of salary doesn't immediately cut out all benefits.

You remind me of the Republican medical reform just before ACA: remove all but
catastrophic insurance so that the poor could not receive any care; that would
reduce demand and thus prices. And let people die and suffer from treatable
conditions.
Post by Jerry Buchanan
Suppose you can get food stamps, Section 8 housing vouchers and Medicaid
benefits totaling $50,000 per year (hypothetically.) A gross wage of
Hypothetically? Really?
AlleyCat
2017-01-05 21:24:16 UTC
On Thu, 05 Jan 2017 03:10:28 -0800, Siri Cruise says...
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by Jerry Buchanan
That's exactly right. Welfare programs raise what is called the
reservation wage in economics. The reservation wage is the wage below
which you won't work - you "reserve" your labor waiting for a higher wage.
You're against minimum wage and welfare for underpaid workers.
Falsehood.

They're NOT "underpaid". They're paid what the market can bear. They're
under-EDUCATED. WHO told them to get pregnant at 14? Who told them to quit
school? Who told them that it's perfectly fine to leech off society?

DEMOCRATS.
Post by Siri Cruise
You're for making people so desperate they will sell themselves into slavery.
Lie.

Who has sold themselves into slavery? Slaves to whom? DEMOCRATS?

Why do lieberals and Democrats lie so much?

Straighten up, nerd, and quit telling so many lies.

A "teabagger" is a male Liberal Democrat who performs fellatio on another
male Liberal Democrat... either sucking his balls or laying his genitals
on his partner's face. <snicker>
Alan Baker
2017-01-05 21:45:27 UTC
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by Jerry Buchanan
That's exactly right. Welfare programs raise what is called the
reservation wage in economics. The reservation wage is the wage below
which you won't work - you "reserve" your labor waiting for a higher wage.
You're against minimum wage and welfare for underpaid workers.
Falsehood.
They're NOT "underpaid". They're paid what the market can bear. They're
under-EDUCATED. WHO told them to get pregnant at 14? Who told them to quit
school? Who told them that it's perfectly fine to leech off society?
Riiiiiiight.

Everyone who can't get better than a minimum wage job got pregnant and
left school!
Post by AlleyCat
DEMOCRATS.
Siri Cruise
2017-01-06 00:31:04 UTC
Post by AlleyCat
On Thu, 05 Jan 2017 03:10:28 -0800, Siri Cruise says...
14 days in your killfile is 1 day for rest of the world. So is a cat year like
14 human years?
M.I.Wakefield
2017-01-05 21:01:55 UTC
Dole benefits are not a subsidy to employers. Dole benefits are a *tax*
on employers.
They're a subsidy to pernicious employers, who pass on part of the cost of
their employees to other employers and individuals.

----

In my Inaugural I laid down the simple proposition that nobody is going to
starve in this country. It seems to me to be equally plain that no business
which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers
has any right to continue in this country. By "business" I mean the whole of
commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers,
the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I
mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt, June 16, 1933
Jerry Buchanan
2017-01-05 21:05:57 UTC
Post by M.I.Wakefield
Post by Jerry Buchanan
Post by Greg Stearns
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by AlleyCat
[...]
That's false. Dole benefits aren't a subsidy at all. They *raise* the
amount that employers must pay to induce the dole scroungers to work at all.

I explained the mechanism - that's why you had to snip it out in order
to make your dump-and-run comment.
M.I.Wakefield
2017-01-05 23:42:15 UTC
Post by Jerry Buchanan
Post by M.I.Wakefield
They're a subsidy to pernicious employers, who pass on part of the cost
of their employees to other employers and individuals.
That's false.
If a company can get away with paying less, because it knows that federal
subsidies will stop their workers from doing embarrassing things, like
having their children starve, or freezing to death in an unheated apartment,
why pay more?
Post by Jerry Buchanan
Dole benefits aren't a subsidy at all. They *raise* the amount that
employers must pay to induce the dole scroungers to work at all.
In some cases, all the way up to the federal minimum wage!
Post by Jerry Buchanan
I explained the mechanism
Your theory is interesting and original ... which is a polite way of saying
that it's fucking delusional.
Siri Cruise
2017-01-06 00:26:07 UTC
Post by Jerry Buchanan
That's false. Dole benefits aren't a subsidy at all. They *raise* the
amount that employers must pay to induce the dole scroungers to work at all.
And welfare benefits do continue for low income not just no income. Up to a
point an employee has welfare plus salary.
Byker
2017-01-06 04:38:38 UTC
Post by Siri Cruise
And welfare benefits do continue for low income not just no income. Up to
a point an employee has welfare plus salary.
In Tacoland, the price of gas has gone up so much that one gallon costs as
much as a day's minimum wage pay.

¡Viva la Revolución!:

Siri Cruise
2017-01-05 09:56:14 UTC
Post by Greg Stearns
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by AlleyCat
The wage increase has pushed Salem to move to Las Vegas, Nevada, where
the minimum wage sits at $8.25 an hour.
I wonder how much government subsidy he will get in Nevada in terms of food
stamps, Medicaid, housing vouchers
Those are not subsidies - those *raise* the wage that an employer must
pay to induce deadbeats to get off their sofas and take a job.
Those are paid by the general public, allowing employees to have an adequate
life at the expense of the public instead of the employer.
bookoflife.org
2017-01-05 03:40:49 UTC
On Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 6:36:37 PM UTC-8, AlleyCat wrote:

#mexicans are #antiwhite Semitic jews.

so you suck jew mexican off now?