Smart Democrats Should Be Worried...if Ryan is an extremist and his proposals are so unpopular, how has he won election seven times in a Democratic district?
unknown
2012-08-12 23:59:10 UTC
...if Ryan is an extremist and his proposals are so unpopular, how has
he won election seven times in a Democratic district?

Smart Democrats Should Be Worried

By John Fund

August 11, 2012 11:21 A.M.
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/313732/smart-democrats-should-be-worried-john-fund

Liberal pundits are already fanning out in force to attack and
discredit Paul Ryan. Michael Tomasky, who recently wrote a Newsweek
cover story calling Mitt Romney a “wimp,” has now decided that
Romney’s bold move is “a terrible choice” because Ryan has proven
himself to be an extremist on budget issues.

No doubt there are many Democrats rubbing their hands in glee in
contemplation of reviving some version of the ad that featured an
actor playing Paul Ryan pushing a grandmother in a wheelchair off a
cliff. But the smarter ones are worried.

First, if Ryan is an extremist and his proposals are so unpopular, how
has he won election seven times in a Democratic district? His lowest
share of the vote was 57 percent — in his first race. He routinely
wins over two-thirds of the vote. When Obama swept the nation in 2008,
he carried Ryan’s district by four points. But at the same time, Ryan
won reelection with 65 percent of the vote, meaning that a fifth of
Obama voters also voted for him.

Ryan has pointed out to me that no Republican has carried his district
for president since Ronald Reagan in 1984. “I have held hundreds of
town-hall meetings in my district explaining why we have to take bold
reform steps, and I’ve found treating people like adults works,” he
told me. “All those ads pushing elderly woman off the cliffs don’t
work anymore if you lay out the problem.”

Second, Democrats know that Ryan has Reaganesque qualities that make
him appealing to independent, middle-class voters. Take the cover
story on Ryan that the Isthmus, a radically left-wing Madison, Wis.
newspaper, ran on him in 2009. “Ryan, with his sunny disposition and
choirboy looks, projects compassion and forcefully proclaims
dedication to his district,” the story reported. “And he’s proved he
is not unyieldingly pro-corporate, as when he recently joined in
condemnation of AIG ‘retention’ bonuses.”

Third, Ryan’s ideas aren’t that novel or scary. The idea of “premium
support” for Medicare, which would change the program’s
one-size-fits-all policy to a private-insurance model with public
options, was endorsed by a bipartisan commission appointed by Bill
Clinton back in the 1990s. Late last year, Ryan announced a new
version of his proposal with a new partner signing on: Democratic
senator Ron Wyden of Oregon, who first achieved political prominence
as an advocate for seniors.

Four, Ryan puts Wisconsin and its ten electoral votes in play. Polls
have shown that President Obama holds a five to seven point lead in
Wisconsin — significant, but much less than Obama’s 14-point margin in
2008. With Ryan on the ticket, polls show the race is dead even.

Five, if Republicans were looking for a superior candidate, they’ve
found it in Ryan. His maiden speech as the GOP vice-presidential
candidate was perfectly pitched:

We won’t duck the tough issues . . . we will lead!

We won’t blame others…we will take responsibility!

We won’t replace our founding principles . . . we will reapply them!

Echoes of Ronald Reagan at his best.

Ryan was judged to have already had the better of President Obama in
televised exchanges on Obamacare. His debate with Joe Biden this
October might well be remembered as cruel and unusual punishment for
dim vice presidents. Recall that Sarah Palin fought a much more
engaged Joe Biden to a draw in their 2008 vice-presidential debate.

Six, as Democratic consultant Joe Trippi acknowledged today on Fox
News, Ryan will bring in a flood of donations from overjoyed
conservatives and tea-party members. Romney had a problem with
energizing the GOP base. That problem is now solved, and that will
make it easier to pump up conservative turnout.

Democrats will no doubt try to make Paul Ryan into a younger version
of the devil they’ve tried to paint Mitt Romney as. But they should
worry about fighting a campaign on fundamental issues in a weak
economy. That’s precisely how Jimmy Carter, the last Democratic
president to run for reelection during hard times, wound up losing so
badly that it not only cost Democrats control of the U.S. Senate but
damaging the liberal brand for years afterwards.

CB
"I think you can be an honest person and lie about any number of
things"
--Dan Rather

Oboobuh's ethic
Sid9
2012-08-13 01:16:57 UTC
Post by unknown
[...]
http://youtu.be/gGsU8SBLcvI
Oboobuh's ethic
.
.
.
Ryan is Romney's Palin.
It's over.
Romney has thrown in the towel.
unknown
Not a smart Dim you be, no
Slackjaw
2012-08-13 11:38:21 UTC
Post by Sid9
Post by unknown
[...]
You're not worried, are you sid?
--
---
If ignorance is bliss, why are there so many miserable liberals?
---
unknown
2012-08-15 21:18:08 UTC
Post by Sid9
Post by unknown
[...]
Oh, how you losers wish.
Romney'll get a bump in the polls and then it's downhill all the way.
Election day?
McCain /Palin will have done better!
Bi-dumb's comments chained the Marxist to another great shellecking
Robert A. Leffingwell
2012-08-13 06:03:56 UTC
Post by unknown
...if Ryan is an extremist and his proposals are so unpopular, how has
he won election seven times in a Democratic district?
Barta, we already know you are an admitted thief. Are you now adding "lying
asshole" to your resume? The First District has not elected a Democratic
congressman in 17 years.
Scales of Justice
2012-08-13 11:51:25 UTC
It's because like most fake capitalist republicans, he's a closet
marxist who talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk..

Unless you count the family business, he's never worked in the private
sector and paid for his education from social security survivor
benefits.

Of course, a radical right wing propaganda liesite like
nationalreview.com won't tell you excrement gobbling gullible minions
that, will they?

Paul Ryan was born into a well-to-do Janesville, Wisc. family, part of
the so-called “Irish mafia” that’s run the city’s construction
industry since the 19th century. When his lawyer father died young,
sadly, the high-school aged Ryan received Social Security survivor
benefits. But they didn’t go directly to supporting his family; by his
own account, he banked them for college. He went to Miami University
of Ohio, paying twice as much tuition as an Ohio resident would have;
the in-state University of Wisconsin system apparently wasn’t good
enough for Ryan. After his government-subsidized out-of-state
education, the pride of Janesville left college and went to work for
government, where he’s spent his entire career, first serving
Republican legislators and then in his own Congressional seat, with
occasional stints at his family-owned construction business when he
needed a job (reportedly he also drove an Oscar Mayer Wiener Mobile
for a while).

Ironically, Ryan came to national attention trying to dismantle the
very program that helped him go to the college of his choice, pushing
an even more radical version of President Bush’s Social Security
privatization plan, which failed. He has since become the scourge of
the welfare state, a man wholly supported by government who preaches
against the evils of government support. He could be the poster boy
for President Obama’s supposedly controversial oration about how we
all owe our success to some combination of our own hard work, family
backing and government support. Let’s say it together: You didn’t
build that career by yourself, Congressman Ryan.

Thus Paul Ryan represents the fakery at the heart of the Republican
project today. It starts with the contradiction that Mr. Free
Enterprise has spent his life in the bosom of government, enjoying the
added protection of wingnut welfare benefactors like the Koch
brothers. If Herman Cain is Charles and David Koch’s “brother from
another mother,” as he famously joked, Ryan is the fourth Koch,
swaddled in support from Americans for Prosperity and other Koch
fronts. The man who wants to make the world safe for swashbuckling,
risk-taking capitalists hasn’t spent a day at economic risk in his
entire life.
FirstPost
2012-08-13 12:29:40 UTC
On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 04:51:25 -0700 (PDT), Scales of Justice
<***@yahoo.com> 174.118.15.211
The IRS ***@hotmail.com 174.118.15.211
Herbert Walker Bush
<***@yahoo.com> 174.118.15.211
Adrian ***@live.com 174.118.15.211
American ***@hotmail.com 174.118.15.211
Anne Brown ***@live.com 174.118.15.211
Aubrey Cole ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
Bachmann Fan ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Bastian Schweinsteiger ***@hotmail.com 174.118.15.211
Billy Carl ***@hotmail.com 174.118.15.211
Billy Duke ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
Black Walter Williams ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
Bob Dole ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Bobby The Brain ***@hotmail.com 174.118.15.211
Brock Norton ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Bruce Woodman ***@live.com 174.118.15.211
Buck ***@excite.com 174.118.15.211
C ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Carl ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Chip Hendry ***@live.com 174.118.15.211
Classical Economist ***@live.com 174.118.15.211
Conservative Values ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
Darrell Jones ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
Derek Sanderson ***@live.com 174.118.15.211
Dick Steele ***@excite.com 174.118.15.211
Ed ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Eddie ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Ethan ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
evangelist ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Friedrich August Hayek ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
G. Norquist ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
Ganymede OV ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Gary Rock Jones ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
George Lincoln Rockwell ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Gip ***@hotmail.com 174.118.15.211
God Fearing US Christian ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
GOP (Grand Old Pedophile) Trailer Trash With A Gun Ready To Spree
Shoot! ***@live.com 174.118.15.211
Gord Brown ***@gmail.com 174.118.15.211
Gordie Howe ***@gmail.com 174.118.15.211
Harcourt Fenton \ Harry\ Mudd ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Heinrich ***@hotmail.com 174.118.15.211
Herbert ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
Herman ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
Homer Cain ***@live.com 174.118.15.211
Hunter Gibson Jr. ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Hymie Glick ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Igor Blinov ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Jak Walker ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Jerry Tex ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
Jimmy Bly ***@live.com 174.118.15.211
Joe Warren ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
John Hunter ***@live.com 174.118.15.211
Jonesie ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
Justice ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
Lars ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Libertarian ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Ludwig Von Squawk ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Mel Fury ***@live.com 174.118.15.211
Mel Fury ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
Michael ***@hotmail.com 174.118.15.211
Mike Gabriel ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
Murph ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
Panama John ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
R. Clom ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
Rabbi Steinberg ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Ray ***@live.com 174.118.15.211
Red Sifferdi ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
Republican Jesus ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Reverend Haggard ***@live.com 174.118.15.211
Rich ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
Richard Breen ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Ricky Ricardo ***@excite.com 174.118.15.211
Right Wing Netcop On Welfare ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Right Wing Realist ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
Rocco Siffredi ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
Rock Quarry ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
Roger Ramjet ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Roger Waters ***@live.com 174.118.15.211
Ross John s Gay Friend ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Roy Bean ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
Roy Rocque ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Rush luvr ***@hotmail.com 174.118.15.211
Ryan Brown ***@live.com 174.118.15.211
Ryerson ***@gmail.com 174.118.15.211
Sarah Palin ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
Tessa ***@live.com 174.118.15.211
The Donald ***@yahoo.com 174.118.15.211
The Real Orion ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
The Right View ***@live.com 174.118.15.211
Unemployed Limbaugh Minion ***@ymail.com 174.118.15.211
Walter ***@live.com 174.118.15.211
White Boy ***@hotmail.com 174.118.15.211
Your Friend Ric ***@excite.com 174.118.15.211
Changed nyms again, set follow ups to alt.religion.scientology.xenu,
alt.idiots, alt.christnet.second-coming.real-soon-now,
alt.religion.christian.last-days and then wrote:

Nothing important. Just the same old Canadians hate the USA bullshit
that they always post. What else os expected of a ten year old on
their drunk slut mothers computer?