Is the US stock market better off now than at the end of 2000?
fâhç
2004-04-29 05:11:59 UTC
The past several times I've asked this question the neo-cons got their
panties in a bunch and exclaimed that I was "lying" (these numbers are
verifiable facts) and that the markets are rising rapidly. So I've taken
the liberty of not only including Dec 29th 2000 index numbers, but also the
index numbers for the previous posts in which I've asked this question. As
you can see from the numbers, the markets are not on the rise. The best you
could say is that they've been channeling this year, but *still* down in
comparison to the end of the year 2000. In addition, the S&P 500 P/E ratio
is still above 15 (it's at 22.87) indicating that many stocks are still
probably overvalued. There is still some downward room for stocks to move.

Dow
Dec 29 2000 10,787.99
Jan 30 2004 10,488.07
Mar 1 2004 10,678.14
Apr 28 2004 10,342.60
change....... -445.39 (-4.1%)

NASDAQ
Dec 29 2000 2,470.52
Jan 30 2004 2,066.15
Mar 1 2004 2,057.80
Apr 28 2004 1,989.54
change...... -480.98 (-19.5%)

Wilshire 5000 (index of 6,000+ US stocks, basically the entire market)
Dec 29 2000 12,175.90
Jan 30 2004 11,029.20
Mar 1 2004 11,289.48
Apr 28 2004 10,967.44
change...... -1,208.46 (-10%)
Tempest
2004-04-29 05:36:40 UTC
Post by fâhç
[...]
The rightards will run from this like vampires from garlic.
--
"The tyranny of a prince is not so dangerous to the public welfare as
the apathy of a citizen in a democracy."
- Baron de Montesquieu, 1748
Corey
2004-04-29 06:19:26 UTC
Post by Tempest
Post by fâhç
[...]
Corey Says-

Unfortunately for you, I will now set you straight Mr. Simpleton. At the end
of Clintons presidency we entered a Mega Bear trend. The market was already
in free fall when Clinton was still in office. This Mega bear trend will
last 8-20 years. In Mega Bear markets their are periods of Bull market
activity ( which is what we are in now) but after 8- 20 years the stock
market will still be below where it was before entering the Mega Bear. end.
Tempest
2004-04-29 13:12:04 UTC
Post by Corey
Post by Tempest
Post by fâhç
[...]
You may want to check the market's trend and retract your statement.

The market was in no free fall during Clinton's administration.

Strike one.
Post by Corey
This Mega bear trend will
last 8-20 years.
Mega bear trend?

The market is DOWN from when Bush took office.

Strike two.
Post by Corey
In Mega Bear markets their are periods of Bull market
activity ( which is what we are in now) but after 8- 20 years the stock
market will still be below where it was before entering the Mega Bear. end.
Which is counter to what history has shown.

Strike three.

You're out.
Roncy
2004-04-30 09:51:17 UTC
Post by Tempest
Post by Corey
Post by Corey
In Mega Bear markets their are periods of Bull market
activity ( which is what we are in now) but after 8- 20 years the stock
market will still be below where it was before entering the Mega Bear. end.
Which is counter to what history has shown.
Strike three.
You're out.
And NASDAQ is at its lowest level since 1989.

blah blah